POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh what joy! : Re: Erasure Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Erasure
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Jun 2008 16:22:44
Message: <48654c14@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> holding file data will still be intact. (Formatting with, say, ext2
> takes a tiny fraction of the time that FAT or NTFS formatting takes,

D'oh?  Hardly.   I've never had an NTFS format take more than a half a
minute or so, and formatting a 750G drive with ext3 on the same machine
takes 10 or 15 minutes.

All NTFS has to write is about 5 blocks of file data and the free space
bitmap (which isn't stored as a bitmap anyway). I'd be surprised if it
writes more than a hundred K regardless of the size of the disk. NTFS
doesn't preallocate i-nodes, nor are the i-nodes spread all over the
disk, so it's generally way, way faster. In other words, an NTFS format
formats two or three superblocks, one boot record, two copies of the
first sixteen "i-nodes", and writes out an empty root directory, an
almost-empty free space map, and an almost-empty ACL table. I wouldn't
be surprised if FAT32 on a big drive took more writing than NTFS to format.

Ext2/3 stores i-nodes all over the disk, preformatting them. This takes
time when you have a couple gig of i-nodes to fill out.

(The difference between ext3 and ext2 is a few seconds of creating the
journal, so that's not the problem.)

> I am unsure as to whether #4 and #5 are different in any way. Both seem
> to take the same amount of time...

On my drives, at least one of the maxtor "format back to factory-fresh"
only wrote the first sector on each track or something. It finished way
too fast to be writing the whole drive. Unless the drive had a command
built in that wiped the entire track in one rotation or something,
rather than actually having to transfer the data from memory to the
drive for the whole thing.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: